1. In a large bowl
with mixer at high speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and beat
for about 2 minutes. Beat in the molasses and egg.
2. Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda
and salt. Gradually work them into the creamed mixture to form a soft dough. Place the dough in plastic
wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly butter two baking
sheets. On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4-inch thickness. Bake the cookies on baking
sheets for about 25 - 30 minutes till firm and dry. Cool, then transfer them to wire racks to cool
Icing - Royal
1) Whip egg whites and cream of tartar to
2) Add salt and sugar together a little at a time
while whipping until all sugar has dissolved
3) The icing is ready for piping if it stands at sharp
NOTES : If liquid flavor or color is used add